Tuesday, October 5, 2010

CHANGE - It can be a good thing, right?

The Executive Director, who we don't see very often at the daycare (most of her work is done behind the scenes) has decided to make some scheduling changes to the toddler program.  Now, I know that there are good reasons for her to have made some changes and I know that change is sometimes needed to make things better.  But in this situation, I feel that as the Head Teacher of the program and the one who will be ensuring that these changes are properly implemented, I should have had the opportunity to give some input before the new schedule was made.  

Some of the changes make perfect sense, really are needed and should make things easier once everyone gets accustomed to the new routines.  Other things, however, seem completely unnecessary and without any logical reason.  And that's where I think my input could have been valuable.  Because as far as I can tell, from looking at this new schedule on paper, it is just going to make an already difficult and busy time of the day, even more burdensome and hectic.  

But the Executive Director has been away from working with the children for so long that she probably doesn't even realize all of the ways this one little change on paper really could be not only for the children, but also for the parents and staff.

I am trying very hard to be open minded about this.  I keep telling myself hat she did run the daycare for many years before I was even hired.  I am telling myself that change can be a good thing.  I want to say that implementing these changes for the first time tomorrow will be easy and that everyone will be happy.  But I really do have my doubts.  

So, for the next few days, I will do my best to implement all the changes and follow the new schedule as closely as possible.  But I will also be documenting daily what does and doesn't work out.  Because despite my efforts to be positive, I foresee a lengthly e-mail to the Executive Director as well as the Director detailing my concerns with the changes, as well as my proposed solutions.  

This will be my first time dealing directly with the Executive Director.  Any issues I've had in the past have been dealt with by my direct Supervisor or the Director.  I don't know what to expect.  All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that things work out better than I am expecting and that if they don't, the powers that be are willing to listen to my concerns and make further changes as required.


2 comments:

  1. Would love to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was crazy and hectic as can be expected at the beginning of a huge change to routines . . . we'll keep at it and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete